Macoupin County Treasurer
DELINQUENT TAX SALE QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
Please be aware that when you purchase at the tax sale, you are purchasing taxes, not property. Purchasing tax is a complex legal procedure. It is advised that you contact an attorney, and/or review the Illinois Compiled Statute prior to participating in a tax sale.
1. When will your next tax sale be held?
The delinquent tax sale will be held on Tuesday, October 31st, 2017.
2. Where is the tax held and what times does it begin?
It is held at the Macoupin County Jail Complex, Conference Room, 215 S East St, Carlinville, IL, 62626 and will begin at 10:00 A.M.
3. When and where do you advertise for the sale?
We advertise in county newspapers at least 10 days before Application for Judgment which is the Monday before the tax sale.
4. Can you send me a list of the parcels that will be available?
Lists (copies of the judgment book) are available for a $100.00 prepaid fee. We will then send you a list when they become available.
5. Do I need to register for the sale and is there a fee for this?
Yes, there is a $250.00 fee to register. You must register in writing at least 10 business days before the sale by sending a letter to the Macoupin County Treasurer’s Office, P.O. Box 20, Carlinville, IL 62626. Please include the name of buyer to go on the certificate, name of person(s) buying at the sale, mailing address, telephone number, and FEIN number.
6. What form of payment do you accept?
Personal checks, business checks, cashier’s checks or cash will be accepted. Taxes must be paid immediately after the close of the tax sale.
7. What happens to the parcels that are not sold at the auction?
All parcels will be sold at the tax sale.
8. Will the tax sale be final?
9. Can I bid without attending (via mail, or a representative)?
The format of the tax sale is automated. You or a representative must attend the sale to participate.
10. If I end up with a parcel, does the county handle the foreclosure process?
It is the tax buyer’s responsibility to follow procedures necessary to acquire a deed.
11. Will all other liens be cleared from the property as a result of the sale?
No, the tax sale does not clear any liens from property.
12. Is a copy of the statutes and rules regarding the sale available for purchase.
The tax sale is governed by the Illinois Compiled Statutes and the Statutes are available at your local library or on line.
13. Where do I call for redemption information?
For redemption information, you should contact the Macoupin County Clerk’s office at (217) 854-3214.