Pete Duncan Macoupin County Clerk
Applying For A Marriage License
Before getting married in Macoupin County, couples must obtain a marriage license from the Macoupin County Clerk's office.
Under Illinois law, only eligible persons can marry. Both partners must:
- - be 18 years of age or older
- - not be blood relatives
- - not already be legally married to someone else or each other
- - Under state law, first cousins older than 50 years of age may marry.
- - Under state law, applicants who are 16 and 17 years old may obtain a marriage license with parental consent.
Both parents or legal guardians must:
- appear in person
- provide sworn consent of the marriage at that time
- provide valid identification
If a court-appointed legal guardian is providing consent, a certified copy of the appointment is required.
Applicants who are 16 or 17 must present the following:
- - a certified copy of their birth certificate
- - a second form of identification showing their date of birth
Couples must appear together at the County Clerk’s office at the Macoupin County Courthouse. They must:
- - Fill out and sign a marriage license application.
- - Present valid identification with proof of age.
- - The marriage license fee is $75.
You can review the questions asked on the application or fill out an application using the online marriage application tool. However, you still MUST appear at the County Clerk’s office to complete the application process after finishing the online application.
Applicants who have divorced must provide the date the divorce was finalized upon applying for a marriage license.
Timelines and restrictions
Marriage licenses are:
- - issued while you wait
- - effective the following calendar day after they are issued
- - valid for 60 days
- - effective only in Macoupin County
After the marriage ceremony occurs
The officiant performing the ceremony must complete the bottom portion of the marriage license and mail or deliver it to the Clerk's office.
You may obtain a copy of your marriage certificate upon request.