Pete Duncan Macoupin County Clerk
Applying For A Civil Union License
Before getting married in Macoupin County, couples must obtain a civil union license from the Macoupin County Clerk's office.
Under Illinois law, only eligible persons can marry. Both partners must:
- - be 18 years of age or older
- - not be blood relatives
Couples must appear together at the County Clerk’s office at the Macoupin County Courthouse. They must:
- - Fill out and sign a civil union license application.
- - Present valid identification with proof of age.
- - The civil union license fee is $75.
Applicants who have divorced must provide the date the divorce was finalized upon applying for a civil union license.
Timelines and restrictions
Civil union licenses are:
- - issued while you wait
- - effective the following calendar day after they are issued
- - valid for 60 days
- - effective only in Macoupin County
After the civil union ceremony occurs
The officiant performing the ceremony must complete the bottom portion of the civil union license and mail or deliver it to the Clerk's office.
You may obtain a copy of your civil union certificate upon request.