County Clerk

Pete Duncan Macoupin County Clerk
Civil Union Certificates

The Macoupin County Clerk's office keeps official records of Civil Unions that occur in Macoupin County.

A Civil Union license is filed with the County Clerk's office after the Civil Union ceremony takes place. The officiant performing the ceremony completes and signs the Civil Union license and returns it to the Clerk's office, where it is recorded.

After that occurs, the Clerk's office can issue you a certified copy of your Civil Union certificate upon request. Civil Union certificates are not automatically sent to couples.

Requesting a Civil Union certificate

You may obtain a Civil Union certificate in one of 5 methods:

  1. In person at the Macoupin County Courthouse in the County Clerk's Office
  2. Write us
    • Mail your request to:
      Macoupin County Clerk Pete Duncan 
      Vital Records 
      P.O. Box 107
      Carlinville, IL 62626
      • Include the following items:
        • - a completed Civil Union Certificate Request Form*
        • - a photocopy of your photo identification
        • - a check or money order payable to the Macoupin County Clerk for $15 (additional copies of the same record cost $4 each)
        • Note: Be sure to include your phone number with your mail request.
  3. Email the information requested in the form found above for the type of record you are requesting.
  4. Visit and place an online order for a record.